Nächster Thread
Drucke Thread
Rate Thread
Seite 26 von 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Nat!

Thank you very much for paying me a compliment on my conversion - nice to hear from someone from the U.K. being mad in vee eight custom LRs! I would like to return the compliment right away:-) Your 2007 restoration is well done, especially the massive welding on the bulkhead (i would have scrapped it) and the chassis. Respect!
The LT85 & LT 230 are both a good and durable choice- but many prefer to install a LT77 (costs!!) or even a LT380 (quiet, strong, easy to source??)... By now it was the right choice, working on the LT 85 (split case) is real fun sekt
I`ll keep track of your S2 V8 restoration- or is it already completed? - as well as having a look on the ollr-forum.
The meeting in Switzerland seems to be worth a try, maybe me and my girl will roaar down to the alps:-).
So, for possible future comments on this thread: If you like stick to your native language, we don`t mind it. But if you want to exercise our beautiful language: Continue in german yankee2

Can't wait to hear the v8 running and to take it for the first spin...
Cheers,
Sascha

Zuletzt bearbeitet von hundertneuner; 23/01/2011 10:13.
::::: Werbung ::::: LR
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Update 22.01.2011:
Das Getriebe ist soweit fertig, dass ich morgen die Einstellerei vornehmen kann. Hierzu habe ich nach Beendigung der heutigen Tasks erstmal zwei Bier getrunken, das "Einstellspezialwerkezug" angefertigt und aufgeräumt. Somit ist alles klar für morgen:-)

[Linked Image von up.picr.de]

L
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
L
Haha, I thought you guys would probably speak far better English than I do German!! I'll do my best with brushing up on German but for the moment it's probably a lot easier for everyone if I speak English rather than butchering your lovely German! smile

The S2 V8 88 is finished, well, it works, but there is still more to be done!! It's in the pictures I posted. I'm now working on a 1972 S3 88, I'm installing a defender 200 TDi as the original 2286 petrol cracked it's block. This will be the land rover I take to Switzerland this year, I would rather go in the V8 but it's having the summer off this year, for repairs and upgrades :-) No pictures of the S3 yet, but soon!

I see you've joined OLLR, well done! Sorry to keep putting links up on your thread, but these will work for you now!

http://ollr.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4058

And the Switzerland trip is here:

http://ollr.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=16795

There is also a Czech republic trip planned:

http://ollr.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=18388

Anyway, back to the thread!! I'm glad you managed to get a new mainshaft, the old one was definitely dead!! Are all the LT85s split case? I don't remember mine looking obviously split case but I haven't looked at it that well yet. I actually had a 1.003:1 LT230 attatched to it, the whole lot was in a V8 109 Station Wagon with range rover axles on leafs, but I had to scrap the land rover as it was so rotten, I only bought it for the engine and gearbox. frown Unfortunately I sold the transfer box as I thought it would be too high geared with big tyres, range rover diffs and a 109. I would like to be able to tow as well, so I'm going to fit 1.222:1 ratio instead.

The steel plate you have bolted down over the selector springs, is that just to allow you to test the selector mechanism or is that part of the final gearbox? Also, I notice you seem to be assembling everything dry. When we rebuilt a gearbox for the S2, we were worried about causing damage to gears and bearings by lack of lubrication, so as we built it everything was assembled with a film of either grease or thick EP140, or just plain EP90, in order to make sure that every bearing and gear face had a film of oil the first time it turned. The only problem is that it can be difficult to stop oily or greasy parts from picking up dirt as you are putting everything together.

Entschuldigen Sie mich bitte für meinen schlechten Deutschen, ich bin Englisch und werde das bestes tun ich kann!
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Nat,

thanks for the info beer

There are two LT85 versions available; The solid and the split case variant. The solid one was/ is still used for "special" heavy duty military V8 applications, the split case LT 85 can be found under the bonnet of the Santana PS-10 as well. Apart from the solid/split case, the solid one has got an oil pump and an oil filter. In the end more "special tools" are needed to overhaul the solid case version (picture below) .

The 1.003:1 LT230 in combination with stock series diffs is to my opppinion the best deal- currently i've got a 1.192:1 ratio fitted (original Santana). In combination wit larger tyres (from 7.5 to 255/85 on one ton rims) it is hopefully a good runner (i used the ashcroft calculator to prove it: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/calc/ratio_calc.html). The first in low range is a kind of rock crawler gear now what
Your decision to use a 1.222:1 ratio is right to me but to sell the rare 1.003:1 ratio gears apollo. This would work fine in a series 1 truck with v8/shortbox R380/LT230;-)

The steel plate is a locally made gear shift alignment tool, it'll be removed after checking and adjusting the shifting. Do you have the WSM for the box at hand??

Sorry sir, but vital areas are well lubricated (but not pictured;-). When i finish the overhaul i'll fill the box up with fresh oil and give some turns + shiftig by hand to get the oil everywhere (but not on th workshop floor hopefully)!
Today i'm going to resume work ont he gearbox, so mroe pics to follow today!

Zuletzt bearbeitet von hundertneuner; 23/01/2011 11:12.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Update 23.01.2011:

Das Getriebe ist fertig und schaltet "sauber". Ein ganz schon großer Trümmer- hoffentlich kann ich bald das gute Stück im Rahmen platzieren:-)
Ganz nett wirkt auch der grüne Knauf des Untersetzungswahlhebels, ist original Santana.

Sende Grüße in die Nacht und wünsche Euch einen guten Start in die Woche:-)

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Update 24.01.2011:

Der Ventiltrieb ist soweit komplett und vormontiert. Morgen werde ich (so Gott will) die Vorspannung der Stößel (Tappet pre load) einstellen und anschließend dieses Kapitel der Motorrevision abschließen.

S�chtiger
S�chtiger
....ich werd´nochmal lästig: ich könnte noch das Schwingungsdämpfer-Keilriemenrad brauchen....., hat jemand übrig??
danke
gruß
thomas

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Thomas: Warum platzierst Du deine Anfrage nicht in der Tradingecke!?

S�chtiger
S�chtiger
...die liest doch keiner....
gruß
thomas

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Update 27.01.2011:

Die Achse sitzt wieder an Ort und Stelle! Die Chassisbuchsen im Rahmen gingen ohne Problem in ihren Sitz, ich hoffe die müssen auch nicht so schnell wieder heraus;-). Jetzt fehlen mir hier und da noch ein paar Kleinteile, um die Bremse sowie den Rest der Achse zu montieren... Hoffe auf baldige Ersatzteillieferung.
Im nächsten Schritt werde ich das HG und das VTG in den Rahmen wuchten, voraussichtlich am Samstag:-)

Seite 26 von 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Member Spotlight
halberhahn
halberhahn
Österreich, Salzburger Land, Bad Dürrnberg
May
M D M D F S S