Went for a test drive. All three diff locks worked perfectly. Then I put the lights on an locked all three diffs. Then tried to unlock them (with the lights on) but they wouldn't disengage. Then I switched off the lights and the diffs would disengage at the first touch of the button. The problem is that, when I tried to recreate the problem it would not resurface again (after many attempts).

Anyway. It was clear at this point that the problem (inability to disengage the diff-locks) would only occur with the lights on so it more than likely that the cause was a short circuit that I inadvertenly created when I refurbished the difflock switch. This opinion is shared by almost everyone (thank you guys for your help).

But since I was unable to buy a new switch on a Sunday afternoon, I decided not to let a 40 pence electric bulb beat me and I have dismantled the switch again and redone the connections this time in a more thorough manner which I hope will work. I have retested the system again and all seems to work perfectly.....

Many thanks to you all,