Voriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Drucke Thread
Rate Thread
#663751 11/05/2018 20:43
on the road
OP Offline
on the road
A short video showing the use of my Telma retarder while in low range on a steep hill. As my retarder is installed on my transfer gearbox PTO, selecting half gear and low range increase its braking torque effect from 350 Nm to 1357 Nm! The retarder is great for normal driving but in low range it is something else….. 😊

https://youtu.be/gxYX5nYDd2g

::::: Werbung ::::: TR
B
Egg Benedict
Egg Benedict
B
Original geschrieben von Marcus Tuck
As my retarder is installed on my transfer gearbox PTO, ....

hello,
... cause no place and limiting space for off road if installed in normal drive line for shure!
You are serious to take out more than 1000Nm from gearbox PTO line??
PTO all the time engaged should be the normal situation if using for retarder.
PTO-drive line lubrification, how?

I would´nt prefer any Telma or kloft-retarder.de - better go with jake-brakes apes?

Benedikt

on the road
OP Offline
on the road
Hi Benedikt,

The PTO is designed for a maximum torque of 1900 Nm, however, my retarder only produces 350 Nm. But because the low and half gears are between the PTO and the axles these gear increase the torque of the retarder by 3.876 to an effective torque on the axles of 1357 Nm.

I modified the PTO to be permanently engaged, the vehicle has to be stationary to engage this PTO so I didn't like the idea of stopping every time I wanted to use the retarder.

The PTO is lubricated from the transfer case oil pump, there is an oil galary already in the casing ready for when you install the PTO. You can see it on my website, see:- http://www.tuckstruck.net/truck-and...s/braking-electro-retarder-installation/

There are a couple of advantages of the retarder over the jake brake or exhaust brake:

1. Noise - the retarder is silent
2. The retarder keeps working while you are changing gears
3. No service parts to ware out as its all electric

I'm quite happy with the installation, I have not effected my ground clearance, I have had the retarder completly under water and covered in mud over the last 3 years it has been fitted. I have now done 100,000 km with the retarder and it has reduced my normal brake wear by 268%!

Happy travels,

Marcus

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
A short video showing the use of my Telma retarder while in low range on a steep hill. As my retarder is installed on my transfer gearbox PTO, selecting half gear and low range increase its braking torque effect from 350 Nm to 1357 Nm! The retarder is great for normal driving but in low range it is something else….. 😊

https://youtu.be/gxYX5nYDd2g

Impressive cinematic equipment!

on the road
OP Offline
on the road
Thanks, I use CyberLink Power Director, its not too expensive and is easy to learn (lots of YouTube instructional videos).

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Thanks, I use CyberLink Power Director, its not too expensive and is easy to learn (lots of YouTube instructional videos).
I rather meant the array of displays... smile.

on the road
OP Offline
on the road
Thanks, it is a 7-inch touch screen I have added to my AFAM computer. It gives me more information on the AFAM but also on the various other sensors that I have attached. It is actual quite easy to program, and it gives me something to do in the evenings. I have found a way to capture all the data from my Victron battery monitor and MPPT and will be displaying it on the display too soon. Here are a couple of screen shots:

[Linked Image von preview.ibb.co]

Das Orakel
Das Orakel
Wer sich den Antriebsstrang des 4x4 zu Gemüte führt, wird nicht wirklich zu anderen Lösungen kommen - vor dem VG ist nicht wirklich Platz

Grüsse
Peter

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Thanks, it is a 7-inch touch screen I have added to my AFAM computer. It gives me more information on the AFAM but also on the various other sensors that I have attached. It is actual quite easy to program, and it gives me something to do in the evenings. I have found a way to capture all the data from my Victron battery monitor and MPPT and will be displaying it on the display too soon. Here are a couple of screen shots:

I like the idea of a computer / monitor displaying relevant (engine data). would it no be ideal to constantly display all the data from the vehicle's CAN (via easy or similar)?

These guys https://pistenkuh.de/expeditionsmobil/technik-und-tipps/instrumente-motorueberwachung/ use promesstec http://www.promesstec.de/produkte_datenlogger.html

Well, once I have more time...

Regards

V

on the road
OP Offline
on the road
I have had a quick look at using a CAN bus reader, I have an ELM327, but unfortunately Iveco haven’t used the OBDII protocols and so the normal car setting will not work. I was going to back engineer it using my PicoScope (it can read CAN messages) but I haven’t found the time yet. My AFAM replacement computer gets a dedicated speed and rpm feed so I have just used that.

I have found the Arduino computers very easy to program and there are lots of example programs that you can use as a frame for other projects. I am using 4D Systems displays which again are easy to program and interface to the Arduino. It is very easy to data log any data from an Arduino onto an SD card and then read this data into excel or other application to analyse.

Below is an example of a graph I have produced showing how the charge current and voltage change as my lithium batteries reach full charge. The data was captured from my Victron BMV by an Arduino and sored onto an SD card. The data was then loaded into excel to produce the graph. (The lines are a bit wobbly as the inverter was running and the fridge was going on and off etc).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Member Spotlight
wielandy
wielandy
Rhein-Westerwald
::: VIERMALVIER.DE::: Werbung ro
Aktivste Themen(Ansichten)
17,845,079 Hertha`s Pinte
7,468,711 Pier 18
3,527,611 Auf`m Keller